Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Last Day of One



This morning, Ben woke up later than usual.  He watched TV, played with his new toys, ate pancakes and “dip” (syrup) for breakfast and we went on a walk in the river valley.  It was a seemingly normal day, his last day as a one year old.  Before bedtime, I kissed his soft cheek and we said our goodnights.  Tomorrow morning he will wake up and turn two.  Just like that, we’ll have a two year old.

It’s hard to believe we’ve been parents, learning and growing alongside him, for two whole years.  It feels like just yesterday he slept beside me, a little stranger tucked under my arm in that hospital bed.  Today, he is the most familiar part of my world and I feel so fortunate to be his mom.  Our lives have changed so much since his arrival yet somehow, it feels like he was a part of us all along.