Monday, December 03, 2012

Siblings - December 2012

I'll look back on this with fondness, right?





All I wanted was a nice picture of my two children together in their Christmas outfits.  I didn’t even expect them to smile.  Just the two of them, looking in the same general direction, for a second.  For some reason, Ben has an aversion to the camera right now.  He gets highly emotional every time I bring it out.  And Kate, poor Kate.  She had no idea what was going on.  Her brother was having a full on meltdown (which always makes her cry too) and I was behind the camera waving a puppet around like an idiot.  No wonder she looks terrified and confused.  

The truth is, this is a fairly accurate representation of what it’s like to have a two year old and a baby.  We live in blissful chaos.  Most of the time things run smoothly.  But not a day goes by without some sort of incident.  Some are predictable.   Like every time I have to stuff two kids into winter clothing and into the car.  Nine times out of ten, at least one of them is going to cry.  And then other times, I’m completely blindsided.  Happy one minute, on the floor in tears the next.  When you have children, every moment of your day is unpredictable.  Having one child turns life upside down.  Having two is even more frantic.  But in the end, through all the exhaustion and chaos there is more love and laughter in my life than I have ever experienced before.  These two little beings were meant for Boris and I, idiosyncrasies and all.  I love them more than words can describe, even through moments like these...