Sunday, April 21, 2013

Looking Back...Way Back – Summer 1981




When I saw Kate for the first time, my first thought was, “That is who has been growing inside of me for nine months?”  I spent the first few days of her life, admittedly, a little confused, trying to figure out whom this tiny creature looked like.  Because, at first, she didn’t look like anyone.  Not myself.  And certainly not Boris.  I guess I kind of expected a little girl version of Ben...

As the weeks passed, her swelling went down, her newness disappeared and she began to look like a mini version of me.  It’s strange, having someone who looks so much like you.  I never had that experience growing up.  My siblings and I have always had some similarities but we certainly aren’t clones of each other (or of either of our parents).  I think, it’s why it took me at least six months to feel comfortable calling her “Kate” (Kate, coming into her name is a post in itself).  And it’s why, when I hold her and look at the two of us in the mirror, I feel like I’m holding a younger version of me.  Sometimes I have a hard time separating her from myself.  It’s as if we’re one in the same.  

Kate is turning one in a little over two weeks.  One!  I can’t even believe she’s been a part of our family for almost an entire year.  I know this blog has been a little “Kate” heavy lately but over the next few weeks I’m going to try and write about some of the things I wish I had put to paper when she was new but didn’t have the time or energy to do.  

When I was at my parents the other night, I rummaged through some old pictures and found a few of me at the one year mark.  We aren’t identical (her nose is different and her face is rounded...oh, and both Boris and I agree that’s she’s definitely cuter) but she is, without a doubt, my daughter.