Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Music Together

Ben and I attended our first Music Together class on a cool Monday morning in late September last year.  A few songs in, even with my limited musical knowledge, I knew that what we were taking part in was so much more than just sitting in a circle singing songs.  That first hour was almost magical for me and I knew we were both going to learn and grow as the weeks passed.  Ben enjoyed his first class too and I could tell his little sponge was soaking.  

There is so much to love about Music Together but what I appreciate the most is that the children are encouraged to learn in their own way, which means, I don’t spend the entire class fighting to keep my little mover on my lap as I have in other programs.  Ben spends his musical hour roaming around, watching, playing with other children or standing a few inches away from our teacher, Geneva, mesmerized as she sings and plays the guitar.  Ben’s face lights up every morning when I turn on his CD to start our day.  And often, I’ll catch him bouncing to a perfect beat while he’s playing.  

Music is very important in our home.  Ben eats to music, plays to music and endures long cars rides to music.  We listen to a good assortment throughout the day, from the Dave Matthews Band to Raffi to Bach.  Music helps break up the day; it keeps us moving and feeling alive.  I am thankful to have found such a wonderful program that builds on what we incorporate into our daily lives at home.