Monday, October 01, 2012

In the Dark

I can’t sleep so I lay here, waiting for you.  When you cry out, I walk down the hall, pick you up and cradle you in my arms.  Instant silence.  I kiss your cheek, drape you over my shoulder and carry you to the couch.  This is where I sit each night, cross-legged in the dark with you.  As I feed you, I often fall asleep with you in my arms.  Tonight however, I think about how much my life has changed, how much you and your brother have changed me.  I think about how much you need me, how much you depend on me and that feels good.  Here we are, mother and daughter at the beginning of our relationship.  We are just getting to know each other and we have a lifetime ahead of us.  I want this moment to last forever.  I want you to stay this small forever.  Let’s not grow older just yet.  Let’s sit in the dark and just be.  There are no words to describe the depth of my love for you.  I can only hope that one day, you will hold your own child in your arms in the middle of the night and understand how amazing it feels to love the way I love you.