Thursday, January 03, 2013

He Said (On Being Lucky)...

Ben has a Gro-clock.  He sleeps in his own bed until 6:00 AM.  When the sun rises on the face of his clock he gets up, goes to the kitchen to get some milk then crawls into bed with us.  This is our compromise to having him in bed with us all night long.  I do not like sharing my pillow with a child who never stops moving, even in his sleep.  I do however love snuggling with my son as I wake up in the morning.  I know it won’t be long before he’s too old to cuddle with his mom, so I hold him close for those precious 15 minutes each morning.  I love the little conversations we have before Boris’ alarm goes off and Ben stretches his arms over his head and declares, “I am waking up”...

Ben: "Merry Christmas Mommy!”
Me: "Merry Christmas Ben.”

Ben: “Happy Birthday Mommy!”

Me: “Happy Birthday Ben.”

(Christmas was 10 days ago and his birthday seven, but there’s no point in arguing with him.  He’s been wishing everyone a "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Birthday" for the last two weeks.  I’m sure it’ll pass).

Ben: “Mommy, whose birthday is next?”

Me: “Um, I think its Kate’s.”

Ben: “No, it’s my birthday party.”

Me: “That’s right; we’re going to have a birthday party for you in a few days.”

Ben: “I get more presents?”

Me: “Yes, you will get a few more gifts.  You are a very, very, very lucky boy.”

Ben: “Yes, I am!”