Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Lunch With Little Ones - Broccoli and Cream Cheese Sandwich

Lunchtime around here has gotten kind of boring.  Before Kate, I use to make some pretty awesome lunches like these homemade yogurt popsicles.  Once I got pregnant (and could barely peel myself off the couch), I began throwing the same few things on Ben’s plate every day.  Lunch has been very standard since then.  We typically have either a sandwich or crackers/cheese/meat or hummus and crackers as the focal point of our meal with some raw fruits and vegetables on the side.  Ben never complains he likes simple food and so do I.  However, I have to admit I feel a little guilty giving him virtually the same thing every day.  Now that Kate is eating alongside us as well, I thought it would be a good time to shake things up a little and get creative once again. 

Today I made broccoli and cream cheese sandwiches.  Which, in my opinion, are a lot fancier than the grilled cheese or jam sandwiches I usually serve.  I’ve made these before and I think they’re delicious.  Ben took a few bites and gave his sandwich a thumbs down (I was surprised.  He loves both steamed broccoli and cream cheese). And Kate, she couldn’t shovel it in fast enough.


Broccoli and Cream Cheese Sandwich

1/3 cup cream cheese
1 cup steamed broccoli
1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
1/8 tsp. tarragon
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
4 – 6 slices of bread 

Steam broccoli.  Put cream cheese, broccoli, hemp seeds and spices in a food processor.  Blend until smooth and creamy.  Spread between two sandwich slices and serve.  Extra spread can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three days.