Monday, July 25, 2011

Raising a Healthy Eater

This post has been sitting, half written in my “Work in Progress” folder since the beginning of April.  I’ve tried to finish it so many times.  I honestly don’t know why it’s taken me so long to complete.  Feeding Ben a variety of healthy foods is something I take pride in.  I’m always on the lookout for a great new recipe, a healthier way to cook our favorite foods or a good toddler-feeding tip.  

There are many aspects of being a good parent.  I believe, among them is feeding children a healthy diet.  As a mother, I feel a strong obligation to teach Ben healthy eating habits that will stay with him for the rest of his life.  I believe the foundation we lay in the first few years will most likely dictate how our children eat as adults and how, one day, they will feed their families.  I want Ben to grow up healthy and strong.  I want him to respect his body by nourishing it with healthy foods.  I want him to understand where his food comes from, which foods provide a good source of nutrients and which foods we should eat in moderation.   

From day one, we have always included Ben at mealtime.  The day we brought him home from the hospital, I remember eating lunch with him propped up on the table in his bouncy chair.  At 18 months, one of his favorite rooms to play in is our kitchen.  It’s amazing to watch him emulate Boris and I; filling a glass of water in his pretend sink, whisking something imaginary in a pan on his pretend stove.  He’s watching us closely, he’s learning and soaking it all in.  What we do in the kitchen everyday matters, even at his young age.   

When I took Ben for his one-year-old check-up back in December I was a little concerned about the amount of food he was eating.  Just like me, Ben was, and still is a small eater.  At the one-year mark, I felt he was drinking a lot of milk in comparison to the amount of food he was taking in.  My doctor confirmed that his milk intake was within the normal range for his age, weight and height and then she gave me some invaluable advice.

“Young children know how much food they need.  They’re a lot more in tuned with their bodies than adults are.  They don’t eat because they’re sad, lonely or bored.  They eat when they’re hungry.  The best thing you can do as his mother is offer him a variety of healthy foods five times a day (three meals and two snacks).  Make sure he’s sitting at the table (whenever possible), without any distractions, like TV.  Leave him be.  Don’t force him.  Relax.  There will be days when you feel like he’s living on air.  And others, when you feel like he’s eating you out of house and home.  It’s your job to choose the food that goes on his plate.  It’s his job to choose what and how much of it to eat”.

I live by her advice.  I offer Ben an assortment of healthy (predominantly homemade) foods throughout the day.  More recently, he has developed food preferences but luckily, he’ll still eat almost anything I put in front of him.  At times, we indulge in “unhealthy foods” in our household; I go through the MacDonald’s drive thru when we have a busy day and I also have a weakness for baked goods.  I try to limit the amount of treats Ben has access to but I certainly don’t deprive him.  Ben eats what we eat.  Just like everyone else, he has to learn to make good food choices and I believe that starts with what Boris and I put on our plates at mealtime.  

 Ben's first taste of solid foods