Sunday, October 06, 2013

Another Evening at the Beach









One evening, about half way through our trip, we lingered at the beach long after the sun had set.  Slowly, everyone disappeared, until it was just the four of us.  Boris walked back and forth along the water’s edge while I sat beside Ben and Kate as they played in the sand.  Everyone was content.  I knew then, that I would remember this moment forever.  I felt so present, so alive.  If only I could have pushed pause for a while. 

As I sat there digging my toes in the sand, I thought about time.  About how some things change.  And how some things stay the same.  This was our third time vacationing in Maui.  Eight years ago, we came on our honeymoon.  The second time, I was six months pregnant with Ben.  And now, here we were as a family of four.  Our lives have changed a lot since we got married.  I couldn’t help but wonder what life would look like next time?  Will our family have grown again?  What will Ben and Kate be like a few years down the road?  Life is so uncertain; anything can change in an instant.  So in this perfect moment, I closed my eyes, drew a deep breath and sent a silent “thank-you” out to the Universe and to God.  Because you see, the first time I sat on this beach I dreamed of the moment my life would look like this.  And now, it does...