Thursday, May 05, 2011

Fruit and Seed Bars

I love granola bars but I have a nut allergy so it’s difficult to find a good bar (store bought or homemade) that doesn’t contain some type of nut.  When I came across this recipe on one of my favorite food websites, I had to try it and it didn’t disappoint.  This bar is packed full of nutrients, has a good crunch and the dried fruit and honey add just the right amount of sweetness.  They were fast to throw together and freeze/defrost nicely.  I made them mostly for myself but Ben likes them too.



Fruit and Seed Bars (Makes 16 Bars) 

1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
1 cup dried fruit (I used 1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup cranberries)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup sunflower butter

Preheat oven to 325F.  Grease and line an 8X8 inch pan with parchment paper.  

In a food processor, pulse the first 7 ingredients until finely chopped (it’s okay if there are a few coarsely chopped pieces).

Add the honey and sunflower butter and pulse until starting to combine.

Pour the mixture into the pan and press down until completely even.

Bake for 25 minutes.

Let the bars cool completely before cutting with a serrated knife.


Recipe adapted from Weelicious