Monday, May 02, 2011

A Little Something for Myself


A while ago a made a promise to myself, a list of things I wanted to do more of.  I love being a stay-at-home mom and I’m beyond grateful that we’re able to make ends meet on Boris’ salary alone.  That being said, sometimes I get lost in a world of laundry and housework and sticky hands.  There are days when I miss being around adults, being challenged.  So I made a list of things I want to do more of for myself in those few quiet moments I have throughout the day:
  • Read
  • Write
  • Cook/Bake
  • Crochet
  • Sew 
This past weekend, I did something I haven’t done in a long time (probably since before Ben was born).  I read a book.  A book for myself.  Not a book that had anything to do with sleeping or eating or childhood development.  Okay, so the book was a memoir of motherhood but I still read it for myself.  I love Rebecca Woolf’s blog, Girl's Gone Child and I loved her book, Rockabye: From Wild to Child, a heartfelt account of what happens when an irrepressible young city girl gets pregnant by accident.  I thought it was humorous, relatable and honest.  I thoroughly enjoyed crawling under the covers during nap time to read, for myself...     

Becoming a mother means splitting yourself in two.  Squeezing new life from between two walls and becoming half mother, half self.  But I believe there is room enough in every woman for passion and work and dreams and her children, for everything she wants with room for dessert.  Life is long.
-       Rebecca Woolf