Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

The morning after Jenny and Darren’s wedding, we all met for breakfast at the Juniper Bistro before parting ways.  I ordered the Valley View Parfait (French vanilla yogurt, mixed berries and organic granola) with a fresh baked lemon poppy seed muffin.  When I got home, I was determined to find a good lemon poppy seed muffin recipe.  As I started looking online, I was surprised at how unhealthy most of the muffin recipes were until I came across this one on the Weelicious website.  I was a little skeptical that it would be sweet enough, considering most of the other recipes I found called for one to one and a half cups of sugar.  These muffins are only sweetened with half a cup of agave nectar.  Not only do they taste great, they’re also made with a combination of whole wheat and all-purpose flour.  Best of all, Ben thinks they’re a treat.  I can’t complain about that!


 
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (Makes 12 Large Muffins) 

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup agave nectar
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp. lemon zest
3 Tbsp. poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 350F.  

Sift the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to mix. 

In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, agave nectar, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and poppy seeds.

Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until the batter is smooth, making sure not to over mix.

Fill paper lined or greased muffin tins generously to the top.

Bake for 22 – 28 minutes on the center rack of the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.