Thursday, January 26, 2012

Quiet Mornings – Ben’s Playdough Garage

There are many reasons I chose to stay home with Ben.  Quiet mornings are among my favorite.  I love those precious few minutes every day where we can push aside the chaos, the mess, the noise and just be.  Some mornings we throw on some music and Ben wanders from one activity to another, playing at his own pace.  It’s in these moments that I realize I’m exactly where I want to be at this point in my life.  

This morning, we built a garage out of playdough and Ben drove one of his cars in and out, in and out.  I sat at the table and watched as he played, marveling at how simple and slow our lives can be when we push aside all of life’s expectations. It’s not that Ben wouldn’t have these experiences if I’d gone back to work, but he wouldn’t be having them with me.  He wouldn’t be able to sit around in his pajamas all morning or have quiet time to himself to learn and explore.  I like to think that the one-on-one time we share throughout the day makes a difference in his life.  All of the little conversations and snuggles have to add up to something, right?  I know it may not be the right choice for everyone but it works for our little family of three.